Phillip Blondeel is an internationally leading expert on aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery and one of the pioneers in the so-called “perforator flap” surgery. He is Professor of Plastic Surgery and vice-chairman of the department of plastic and reconstructive surgery at the University Hospital Gent, Belgium, as well as an attending plastic surgeon at LaClinic in Montreux, Switzerland.
Prof. Blondeel is a fellow of the Collegium Chirurgicum Plasticum (Belgian Boards)and a diplomate of the European Board of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. He is currently treasurer of the Royal Belgian Society for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. He holds membership in numerous scientific societies, among them the American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, the European Association of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society for Plastic Surgery. He is honorary member of the South-African and Canadian Society of Plastic Surgery.
A world-renowned expert in the field of aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery, Prof. Blondeel is a much sought after speaker and teacher who has also authored and co-authored numerous books, book chapters, peer-reviewed articles and abstracts. He currently sits on the editorial boards of the Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery and the Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. He is international co-editor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
At the end of 2011, Prof. Blondeel led the team that performed the first face transplant in Belgium (#19 worldwide) and is the Chairman of the Vascularized Composite Tissue Allograft Program at the University Hospital Gent.
Publications by Phillip N.V. Blondeel, MD, PhD
Most recent books
“Mijn Borst”. Ph. Blondeel & Karlien Van de Sijpe (2007). Standaard Uitgeverij, Antwerpen, Belgium. (ISBN 978-90-02-22005-0) 2nd. edition
Perforator Flaps: Anatomy, Techniques and Clinical Applications. 2nd. Ed. Ph. N. Blondeel, S. Morris, P. Neligan and G. Hallock (2013). Quality Medical Publications. St.-Louis, Mi., USA. (ISBN 978-1-57626-317-4)
10 most recent scientific publications (2011-12)
- Thiessen FE, Andrades P, Blondeel PN, Hamdi M, Roche N, Stillaert F, et al. Flap surgery for pressure sores: should the underlying muscle be transferred or not? Journal of plastic, reconstructive & aesthetic surgery : JPRAS. 2011;64:84-90.
- Doornaert, Maarten A. J.; Blondeel, Phillip N.; Stillaert, Filip B. Inclusion of Basic Adipose Tissue Engineering Research in a Lipofilling Procedure. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 127(3):80e-82e, March 2011.
- Webster, Howard; Blondeel, Philip; D'Amico, Richard A.First Global Summit of National Plastic Surgery Societies: Joint Statement. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 127(4):1703-1706, April 2011.
- Zeltzer, Assaf A.; Andrades, Patricio; Hamdi, Moustapha; Blondeel, Phillip N.; Van Landuyt, Koenraad.The Use of a Single Set of Internal Mammary Recipient Vessels in Bilateral Free Flap Breast Reconstruction Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 127(6):153e-154e, June 2011.
- Blondeel P, Neligan P. Reply: Are Bilateral TRAM Flaps as Good as Bilateral DIEP Flaps? Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 128(2):591-592, August 2011.
- Blondeel P. Discussion: perfusion-related complications are similar for DIEP and muscle-sparing free TRAM flaps harvested on medial or lateral deep inferior epigastric artery branch perforators for breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg.128(6):590e-2e. Dec. 2011
- Waes, Carl Van; Seidenstuecker, Katrin; Mahajan, Ajay; Roche, Nathalie; Stillaert, Filip; Andree, Christoph; PN Blondeel. The Safety of the Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator Flap Procedure: A Prospective Analysis in 1036 Breast Reconstruction Patients. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 128(4S):57, October 2011.
- Doornaert MA, Declercq H, Stillaert F, Depypere B, Van de Walle I, Cornelissen M, Blondeel P. Intrinsic Dynamics of the Fat Graft: In vitro interactions between the main cell actors. Plast Reconstr Surg. Jul. 2012 (DOI: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e318267d3fb)
- Roche NA, Vermeulen BT, Blondeel PN, Stillaert FB. Technical recommendations for penile replantation based on lessons learned from penile reconstruction. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2012 May;28(4):247-50.
- Roche NA, Houtmeyers P, Vermeersch HF, Stillaert FB, Blondeel PN. The role of the internal mammary vessels as recipient vessels in secondary and tertiary head and neck reconstruction. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012 Jul;65(7):885-92.
> For a complete list of publications please download pdf.
Website for Phillip N.V. Blondeel, MD, PhD